Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Jon Peltier

Default Graphing "" values

Excel interprets text numerically as zero. "" is nothing but a short text
string, it is anything but a blank. In Excel line and XY charts, use NA()
instead of "". This puts a nasty #N/A error in the worksheet (which you can
hide with conditional formatting), but it is treated nicely in the chart.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

"jim314" wrote in message
I am attmepting to graph data that includes both numerical values and
non-numerical (i.e., "") values. The data is as follows:
A B C D
(row 1) 10/01/05 11/01/05 12/01/05 TOTAL
(row 2)# Accounts 62 3 65

Since data for D2 (december of 05) does not yet exist, I don't want
anything
in that cell (I have a formula that places "" in that cell in that
scenario).
But my problem is that when I graph A2:D2, D2 is interpreted as a 0 and
not
as the absence of a number.

How do I get Excel to only graph the first two values in that range
without
changing the range (the example above is a small section of a 8 MB file).

Thanks,

Jim