Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
JP Long

Default countif and concatenate

I am having trouble with the COUNTIF function. I am searching for the
frequency of occurence for a name in a range of cells (not in a row or
left-most column). The name I am searching for is the result of a cell that
has been concatenated from other data.

Example:
Cell A43 reads: =CONCATENATE('Contact Info'!B2," ",'Contact Info'!A2)
resulting in the cell populating with a name (i.e. Shelly Bell)

I want to determine how many times that specific name repeats in data found
elsewhere in the worksheet. These results will be displayed in C43; the
search is occurring C10:C38.

I have tried =COUNTIF (C10:C38, "A43") but xl looks for A43 as the text.
I have tried =COUNTIF(A43,C10:C38) the other way and the formula box shows
"Shelly Bell" as the results of A43; however, the results still come back as
zero (0).

Frustration is setting in...please HELP!!
--
J. Paul Long
Training Manager