Frank Kabel

Hi
try:
=ROUND(rand()*(4-0)+1,2)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel
Frankfurt, Germany

"Shannon W." schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...
Hi, sorry to question you on someone else's question, but it's

relevant. I
tried your method for rand and I some amount of success. I get the

sheet to
put out a random number (0 or 1). I also was able to assign this

random
function to a macro button so I could just click the button.

Finally, I
learned how to get a number other than 0 or 1. I then tried to use

this in
conjunction with the vlookup formula. The problem I encountered with

this,
is vlookup see the random number generated, however that random

number is not
exact. Example, I have the following "test" sheet:

1 Red
2 Blue
3 Green
4 Orange

Now, I have it set to =rand()*(4-0)+1, which will give me a random

number,
1-4. When I generate a number, let's say 3, it gives a random number

between
3.0000-3.9999 (just for the number 3 of course, it will generate

1.000-1.999,
etc.) I tryed to find something in the format cell, but none of the

choices
in the "Number" tab works. Any help?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

Hi
in B1 put
=RAND()
copy this down for all rows
Now sort with column B and pick from column A the number of

required
IDs.
With resorting you get a new sample

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

topkick wrote:
I have a column of employee id's that have alpha numeric

characters I
need to pull a random sampling for a drug test how do I do it? I
tryed rand() and Randbetween and no luck making that work.