Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

Default vlookup still gives na

Does A2 on "Tier 1" look like it should match B2?

If you think it should match and you get False, then there is a difference
between what's in those cells.

Again, did you look at Debra's site?

What's the value in B2--what's the actual property name?

If it's text, then look for differences--spelling, extra spaces.

In fact, copy B2 and paste it in your reply on a separate line.

Then paste what you think should be the matching cell in column A of the Tier 1
sheet.

mayoslc wrote:

Dave:
More information. B2 has property name text on a worksheet called Dwaynes
List. Worksheet 2 is called Tier 1. In column A on this worksheet I have the
same property name. I am trying to compare property names and pull in orders
listed in column E of the same worksheet. I use your formula =b2='tier 1'!A2
to compare property names and I get a FALSE reply.
Hope you can help me out!!!!!

Kraig

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

First, this is the formula that I wanted in a separate cell:

=b2='tier 1'!Axx

And change xx to match the row where you think B2 matched.

And I'd still recommend using this as your =vlookup() formula:

=VLOOKUP(B2,'Tier 1'!A:E,5,FALSE)

=====
And more separate questions:

What's in B2?

And did you look at Debra's site?

mayoslc wrote:

Dave:
See formula below:
=VLOOKUP(B2,'Tier 1'!A:A:'Tier 1'!E:E,5,FALSE=B2='Tier 1'!Axx)
I get #NAME?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

What's in B2?

In fact, find that cell in Tier 1 column A that looks like it should be a match.

Put this in an empty cell of the sheet with the formula.

=b2='tier 1'!Axx

If that returns false, then there is a difference between what's in B2 and what
is in that cell that you think should match.

Common troubleshooting techniques can be found at Debra's site.

mayoslc wrote:

Dave:
Tried this formula below and it did not work.
=VLOOKUP(B2,'Tier 1'!A:E,5,FALSE)

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

I would think this syntax would be more common:

=VLOOKUP(B2,'Tier 1'!A:E,5,FALSE)

And Debra Dalgleish has some troubleshooting tips at:
http://www.contextures.com/xlFunctions02.html#Trouble

mayoslc wrote:

We are trying to manipulate numbers using vlookup, approximately 4,300
records using the formula below:
=VLOOKUP(B2,'Tier 1'!A:A:'Tier 1'!E:E,5,FALSE)
There is one total property spreadsheet and 3 other tabs. About 1,500
records are coming back NA.
Any suggestions on what might be happening?? It looks like a formula problem!

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson