Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Connie Martin

Default Lookup

Thank you, this works! Another question, if you don't mind. Using the
sample columns below, I need a formula that looks for Yellow and counts the
number of times it was 7 or less from column C. In looking at the little
table below, the answer would be 9. for SFS it would be 2, for FFE it would
be 1. They will be all separate formulas, of course. I only need one
example---for Yellow.

Yellow 5
Yellow 6
SFS 3
Yellow 6
Yellow 6
Yellow 6
Yellow 6
Yellow 7
Yellow 7
Yellow 7
Yellow 8
FFE 7
FFE 11
FFE 11
SFS 3

"bpeltzer" wrote:

SUMIF will total cells when an associated cell meets a certain condition;
COUNTIF will count such cells. So your average would be
=sumif(b:b,"Yellow",c:c)/countif(b:b,"Yellow"). Note that "Yellow" could
just as well be another cell reference.

"Connie Martin" wrote:

I assume I use a lookup function, but not sure. I would define the range
with a name, I know that much, but the formula stumps me. I have a list that
could read something like this:

JAN Con-Way 2
JAN SFS 3
APR SFS 3
JUN SFS 3
JUL TransX 4
JAN Yellow 4
JAN Yellow 4
JAN Yellow 4
JAN Yellow 4
SEP TransX 5
FEB Yellow 5
FEB Yellow 5

In another cell, for example, I would like to put a formula that would look
up all of "Yellow" in this list and then give me the average of the numbers
for Yellow. I think it's simple enough but I'm not versed enough! Connie