Pete Cumberland

Default return a zero for error

Hi Jerry,
I tried your solution (many thanks) but as there may be blanks in the
range (represented by zero) I get an incorrect average.

Pete
"Jerry W. Lewis" wrote in message
If in the workbook this will be repeated many times or involve a much
larger range, then it might recalculate faster to cut out the math
=IF(COUNT(B5:B20),AVERAGE(B5:B20),0)

Jerry

Stefi wrote:

=IF(ERROR.TYPE(AVERAGE(B5:B20))=2,0,AVERAGE(B5:B20 ))

Regards,
Stefi

"Pete Cumberland" ezt írta:

I'm having a problem with a spreadsheet I'm developing which records

average
marks of groups of students over several weeks. I want to display a
"Running Average" of those averages as I enter the data, however,

because I
do this week by week there are inevitably weeks which have not had any

data
entered and her I see the error #DIV/0! for the formula
=AVERAGE(IF(R5:R20<0, R5:R20,"")). I do understand why I'm getting

this
(because I'm dividing by zero) but would like to return a zero so that

the
average of the averages will return a number rather than an error.
Can anybody help me?

Pete