Bob Phillips

Default Averages excluding certian data

Brad,

If I correctly understand, you need

=AVERAGE(IF(name_rng<"Bob",test1_rng))

which is an array formula, which means that you commit it with
Ctrl-Shift-Enter, and that you cannot use complete columns, but you musat
specify the cells (A2:A200 for example), and the ranges must be of the same
size.

--

HTH

RP

"bbddvv" wrote in message
I have a table with students listed vertically and their scores on 5
different tests listed horizontally.

Example (the real data is about 350 times bigger):
Name ... test1 ... test2 ... test3 ... test4 ... test5 ...etc
Sally ... 98 ... 70 ... 88 ... 85 ... 87
Bob ... 63 ... 84 ... 78 ... 81 ... 90
John ... 91 ... 87 ... 82 ... 87 ... 70

I know how to take the class average score on each test. But, how do i

find
the average score for each test exluding a each student ***WITHOUT**

changing
the cell range for each formula. Changing the cell range for each
"=average()" formula is too labor intensive for a data set of 350 students
and 80 tests.

Example:
class avg ex (student) ... test1 ... test2 ... test3 ... test4 ... test5

etc

I'm sorry if this is confusing, any help would be apprecaited,
Brad