Biff

Default Location of the last "s" in a text string

Hi!

Yeah, that'll work. Actually, that's a pretty clever way to build an error
trap.

Biff

"PCLIVE" wrote in message
Thanks Biff.

I'm not sure what if anything is different, but I also got it to work
with:

=FIND("^^",SUBSTITUTE(" "&A1," ","^^",LEN(" "&A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(" "&A1,"
",""))))-1

"Biff" wrote in message
Hi!

Try this:

=FIND("~",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"s","~",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"s",""))))

Note: no error checking. If "s" doesn't exist = #VALUE

The tilde chararter is used as a "marker". The "marker" can be any unique
character(s) that DOES NOT appear in the string.

Biff

"PCLIVE" wrote in message
I've got a cell with some text in it.

Example - A1 has the text "This is a test"

I'm trying to come up with a formula that will tell me the location of
the last "s" in this cell. I've tried using a FIND function, but that
will only give me the first occurrence starting at whatever position I
specify. How can I get the location of the last "s" without knowing a
starting position?

Thanks,
Paul