Harlan Grove

Default Location of the last "s" in a text string

PCLIVE wrote...
I've got a cell with some text in it.

Example - A1 has the text "This is a test"

I'm trying to come up with a formula that will tell me the location of the
last "s" in this cell. I've tried using a FIND function, but that will only
give me the first occurrence starting at whatever position I specify. How
can I get the location of the last "s" without knowing a starting position?

There are a few approaches. Define a name like seq referring to the
formula

=ROW(INDEX($1:$65536,1,1):INDEX($1:$65536,1024,1))

[using this rather than =ROW($1:$1024) makes the name's definition
impervious to row insertion/deletion, and it avoids volatile
functions]. Then use the nonarray formula

=LOOKUP(2,1/(MID(A1,seq,1)="s"),seq)

or the array formula

=MAX((MID(A1,seq,1)="s")*seq)