plf100

Default How do I select & use contents of first non-blank cell in row?

I really appreciate your help Roger and I dont want to be a pest but that
formula seems to identify the first blank cell rather than the first
non-blank cell. Sure its a combination of both that you've provided but
think I'm now too close to it to figure out the right combination!

Many thanks,
Pam

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi Pam

Sorry for the delay, I had to go out for a while.
I didn't read your post properly, and, as you found I gave you the column
for last non-blank cell.

I have been tinkering since, and there may be better solutions, but the
following array formula seems to work for me. Commit with Ctrl+Shift+Enter,
for the initial entry and any subsequent editing, not just Enter. Excel will
insert the curly braces { } around the formula, don't input them yourself.

(=INDEX(1:1,MIN(IF(A2:L2="",COLUMN(A2:L2),"")))}

Regards

Roger Govier

plf100 wrote:
Thanks Roger, its exactly what I'm looking for. However, it seems to be
returning the value from the last non-blank cell in the row rather than the
first. Should I be changing the 9.99... value?

Here's an example:

Col A Col B Col C Col D
Row 1 APR MAY JUN
Row 2 1 3 MAY
Row 3 7 JUN
Row 4 34 APR

Kind regards,
Pam

"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi

One way (as you say the data in row 2 is numeric or blank)
=INDEX(1:1,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+302,2:2))

Regards

Roger Govier

plf100 wrote:

I've got 12 columns (headed Jan - Dec), each of which contains a combination
of numerical & blank cells. For each row, I want to select the first
non-blank cell and return the column header that it lies in e.g. Row 1, first
non-blank cell is in the Apr column, so I want the text "Apr" to be returned
to another cell.

Help please.