Excels Cracking me up!

Default Expanding data

When i transfter data from an external source, I have formulas that pick up
the data from a Vlookup table, to match the transfered data, and return
various things.... the problem is, is that the transfer data is not always
the same amount of rows every day. To ensure i have calculated all the data
transfered, i have used the cheats way out and copied the formulas all the
way down to the bottom (Well 30000 cause i give up). Excel seems to struggle
with calculating cells all the time.... I know this is the wrong way of doing
it and i need to use some thing like Dynamic Data Ranges??? Ive looked into
it but to be honest i havent got the time to nerd around... im struggling to
understand the =OFFSET($A$1,0,0,MATCH("*",$A:$A,-1),1) formulas that i have
found, dont know where to input them etc... i thought i was quite good on
excel until this one! im going mad please help!
Thanks