Bob Phillips

Default if / or formulas

James,

How about conditional formatting.

By selecting all the cells, and use a formula of =(B3/SUM(B:B))0.03

--

HTH

RP

"jamesg-fid" wrote in message
i build a spreadhseet daily of portfolio positions and the percentage that
each stock takes of the total portfolio value......the individual

positions
are cut and paste from another system striaght to excel.....at the end of
this vertical list of positions I add a 'total' amount. Obviously the

number
of positions changes on a daily basis.
what I also want to add is a table that says if any one single stock is

over
three percent of the portfolio value, so i need formula(e) that looks

down
the list and tells me if the number is greater than three. However the

range
of cells will change on a daily basis and I dont want to manually enter
=or(b33,orb4?3,b53,b63.....) and change it on a daily basis (also the

risk
of manual error)

i have toyed with the idea of =if(cell="total",0,1), this way a column
comes up with 1 next to all the postions, and a 0 next to the total

amount,
then use
=match(0,column range,1) - this then tells me the number of cells there

are
with stock positions in to look at to see if any number is greater than
3.....however what formula can i use that looks at each cell in this range
individually that tells me if any one of the cells is higher than three ?

thanks
James