Struth

Default Microsoft Office XP Excel file opening problem

I had a similar problem with people sending out email to external
clients - the client would obtain the email but the attachment would
say it is read-only.

I ended up looking in the local mailbox in their sent items and trying
to open the attachment. The open failed. So I wanted to check
permissions, the users were in the local administrators group but it
showed their security identifier (SID). This lead me to believe there
was an authentication problem. I checked their local server and found
that the WINS service was corrupt. I fixed WINS and the problem went
away. This could be similar if you are running a W2K or W2K3 ADS
environment where DNS is heavily relied upon - you may just be using a
cache logon so you may not pick it straight away.

--
Struth
Struth's Profile: http://www.highdots.com/forums/m1408