Elkar

Default Rank Function

Define cells D11 - D21 and A1 as a Range (highlight the cells, then select
"Insert", then "Name", then "Define"). We'll call it Range1 for this example.

Repeat for cells E33 - E43 and A1. Calling it Range2.

Your formulas can then be:

=Rank(A1,Range1,1)
=Rank(A1,Range2,1)

HTH,
Elkar

"Jeff" wrote:

I have a number in cell A1, and two lists of numbers in cells D11:D21 and
E33:E43

I want to find the rank of cell A1 out of the cells in D11:D21 and E33:E43.

But the rank function seems to require that the value in cell A1 be part of
the range D11:D21 or E33:E43. It does not seem to allow me to take the rank
when the cell values are seperated.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks