Anne Troy

Default Using + in formulas - why?

They take up space. I think it's a carryover from using Lotus 123 and
perhaps even from those files having been converted at some point. I have
done find/replace and found =+ and replace with =.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"kylesin" wrote in
message ...

Some individuals at my office use a + in front of cells when they are
putting calculations within a cell. E.g. =+a1-b2 versus =a1+b2. First,
why do they do this?

Second, in a recent spreadsheet, I came across the formula
=AVERAGE(+X:Y). The result of this formula gave me the average of only
the first cell within the range (i.e. +X... the result of the cell was
simply X). Second, why is this?

Basically, what does the + do in the front of formulas and what benefit
does it provide?

I tried to search Excel help and even tried to find the answer in
Google to now avail.

Thanks in advance!!

--
kylesin