Marcus Ahlbäck

Default Why does my Excel pivottable uses count instead of sum

Thanks for o quick reply

Seems like the Count function is used if the data field contains
error-values as well.
Not so bad really, as it offers a way to debugging and cleaning the database
(if I get a count-function I can take that as a hint that I might have some
cleaning to do).

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

If a field contains blanks, or text, the Count function is used.
Otherwise, the Sum function is used.

Marcus wrote:
When I create a pivottable from some imported data Excel (2003 SP2) sometimes
chooses to summarize the data by using the function "count" instead of "sum",
which I then have change manually. What is it in the database that is
triggering Excel to choose either function?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List