JessJ

Default conditional subtotal counting

Hi Barb,

I'm not sure that a Pivot table will be appropriate. I've just had a look
at the help link you gave me - thanks. I tried a Pivot table, and said it
didn't have enough memory at one point. I need to be able to get all the
grand total information out in one go.

I actually have about 200 columns of results (such as "Food" and "Drink"),
and another dozen or so columns of the subject attributes. And I have lots
of rows too. Also, every text (i.e. written document) actually has 2 rows:
one for raw figures ("r", see below) and one for percentage figures. And I
have several other spreadsheets which are similar (each representing
different sub-corpora).

I have been toying with the following formula (which I could copy and paste
into a row below my data). Column B is my "Subject" column. What do you
think?

=SUMPRODUCT(($B$2:$B$149=$B$3:$B$150)*($D$2:$D$149 ="r")*(E$2:E$1490)*1)

It seems to work, but I can't check every application of it, and I would
really appreciate an expert's opinion of its validity. Thanks,

JessJ
--
Jess
(XP Home SP/2 OEM. HDD1:Windows NTFS 280GB; Fat32 1GB; Linux 19GB.

"Barb Reinhardt" wrote:

I'd probably use a Pivot Table to evaluate this.

http://www.peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm