Dave Peterson

Default stop auto fill from thinking for itself!!!!!!!

try:

=a5*$a$1

The $a signs mean not to adjust that column and the $1 means not to adjust that
row.

So $a$1 means don't change anything.

You may want to look at help for "About cell and range references", then "The
difference between relative and absolute references".

Chip Pearson has some nice notes, too:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/relative.htm

1vagrowr wrote:

I have Office 2003. I figure an example will make things easier. I want B5
to =A5*A1, B6 to =A6*A1, B7 to =A7*A1, and so on. When I try to auto fill I
can't keep the formula refering to cell A1. It automatically goes to A2 then
A3, etc. How can I use the auto fill function to fill in a range of cells
which all refer back to one common cell?

--

Dave Peterson