Ron Rosenfeld

Default Formula for: Format Decimal places?

On Thu, 3 Nov 2005 18:36:04 -0800, "nastech"
wrote:

Hi, I like the formula's, and if I guesse right, can see use for having data
on one line, especially in future if / when expand to be able to tabulate
running totals? (is that right?) Sorry, I'm trying to make sense.. reaching
here, but:

I have a fixed $IN (or dollars in); have to know how many shares to buy,
quick, when I need them; not picking shares 1st, hope I didn't spent too
much later.
Maybe I am slow, if knowing how to "adapt" that to my layout. But,

Result is for # of shares to BUY, I know it seems backwards.

Maybe I am the one who is backwards, don't know. How do I use the multplier?
Thanks.

I thought you indicated you wanted to express your result as a digit with two
decimals:

need to see number: e.g. 1085, to 1.08; (no rounding up)

The formula I posted will always reduce a number to that format, and also (in
the second equation) give you the divisor used to obtain that result. So in
the above, if you entered 1085, the formulas would show:

1.08 1,000

That is the same as I posted a few messages ago.

If that is not something you want, then I don't understand what it is that you
do want.

If you want to enter some number of dollars, and compute how many shares you
can buy with that, that's simple:

A1: Dollars available
A2: Stock price (per share)
A3: =INT(A1/A2)