southdaytona

Default Countif using Wildcard * and number 1

I've got a column of letters and numbers that I want to count. For
example the column could look like this:

a,1
1
1
b,1

What I want to do is count all the times that 1 shows up. When I try
to use formula =COUNTIF(I508:I512,"=*1*") It doesn't count the
instances where 1 is all by itself. It only counts 1 when it is with
another letter.

What I've resorted to is a forumula that looks like this.

=SUM(COUNTIF(G2:G431,"=1"),COUNTIF(G2:G431,"*1"),C OUNTIF(G2:G431,"=1*"))

Basically it has all the possible options and then adds them together.
But why doesn't the wildcard feature work?

thanks, mike

--
southdaytona
southdaytona's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28529