Default Lines separating rows and columns won't unhide

I'm using Excel 2002 SP# on a Win2K box, all settings in Excel set to
default, I almost never use Excel.

I create a very simple "chart" but when I print it, the lines (grid
lines I think they're called) separating the rows and cells are
missing. I've tried the F1 help, could find nothing. Googling led to
no solution.

I've tried:
Tools | Options | View| ("grid lines" is checked).

Format | Row | Unhide

Format | Column | Unhide

When I preview it, or print it, there are no lines of any sort
anywhere, and I'm trying to just create a simple form for hard copy use.