Tushar Mehta

Default Create database in excel?

You are making a very common mistake by confusing data storage with
user communication.

You have the right idea of storing pertinent information about every
NPO in one worksheet -- well, as long as you can do that using one and
only one row per NPO.

For interactive display / update purposes, use something like Data |
Form... John Walkenbach has an add-in that supports enhanced
capability on his web site at
http://www.j-walk.com/ss/dataform/index.htm. Fair warning: I haven't
used it; hence, cannot comment on it.

For print purposes, use Word's Mail Merge capability. It's pretty
straightforward and requires little effort to print one letter/form per
NPO.

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...

Hi -
I could really use some help. I am trying to create a database of
non-profit organizations in Excel. My thought is to create a workbook
with Sheet1 being a Master List and Sheet2 through Sheet200 (for
example) being the information for each individual non-profit
(Organization Name, Address, Contact, Service Area, Phone #, Mission
Statement, etc.). The Master List would display information from all
non-profits listing down (with column headings listed at the top).
Each individual sheet would be a template of all the individual
non-profit information in a page view (with headers listing down the
left of the spreadsheet and information in the corresponding cell to
the right). I am assuming I would be able to reorganize the Master
List in a number of differrent ways should I desire -- alphabetically
by name, by service type (drop down menu?), by area, etc..

Assuming that this is a viable method, here are my stumbling blocks
..

1. I need a way to create 200 worksheets of my template (which I have
not yet created, but am sure I can figure out with the aid of Excel
Help) in the workbook without having to add them one by one via
InsertSheet.

2. I would need the information from Sheets 2-200 to be automatically
entered into the Master List. I am able to link the cells by entering
=Sheet2!B1 for example into the cell on the appropriate master list
cell. Is there a way to automate the filling of subsequent cells
below it with =Sheet3!B1, =Sheet4!B1, =Sheet5!B1, ... =Sheet200!B1? I
have tried with Fill/Series, but to no avail.

I am sure there are more stumbling blocks ahead, but these are the two
I have immediately identified. I began this process in an Appleworks
Database, but will need many people to have access to it in the future
and know a majority will not be Mac users. This last month has been my
first experience with Excel and I am finding it a very adaptable
program. I plan to continue using it in the future. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Tom

--
wirthless