Roger Govier

Default Create database in excel?

Apologies Tom

Typo in formula for named range.
NOT =OFFSET(Master!$A$1,0,0,COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,"<"))
but instead
=OFFSET(Master!$A$1,0,0,COUNTIF(Master!A:A,"<"))

Regards

Roger Govier

Roger Govier wrote:
Hi Tom

In addition to Anne's suggestion using Word to do a mailmerge type
operation, you could stay within Excel if you wanted.
Supposing your Master sheet has Organisation Name in Column A, and the
rest of your data are in columns B to M (or as many required for the
items you are recording).

On Sheet2, copy this list of headings to cells A1:A13 by copying A1:M1
from Sheet 1, select A1 on Sheet2 and Paste SpecialTranspose.
You only need to go down to the row number equivalent to the last column
on your Master sheet.
Make column A wide enough for the widest heading you have.

On Sheet2, in cell B2 enter
=VLOOKUP($B$1,Master!$A$1:$M$250,Row(),0)
Copy the formula down through B3:B13
(If your Master sheet is not actually named as such, but is Sheet1, then
substitute Sheet1! for Master! in the formula.

Now, any Organisation Name entered into B1, would have their respective
data pulled across from the Master Sheet.

To make it easy to select an Organisation, create a Named List of
organisations by InsertNameDefine and in the Name pane type Names and
in the Refers to pane enter
=OFFSET(Master!$A$1,0,0,COUNTIF(Sheet2!A:A,"<"))

On Sheet2, apply Data Validation to cell B1 by selecting the cell,
DataValidation select List from the Allow dropdown, and in the pane

marked Source enter =Names.

You will now have a dropdown on cell B1 to allow you to select any
organisation, and all the relevant data will be shown down the page as
you require.

For more help on Data Validation take a look at
and for more information on Vlookup also on Debra's site

Regards

Roger Govier

wirthless wrote:

Anne -
Point well taken.

It appears that linking isn't the answer then. I guess all my inputing
will have to be hand entered into a Master Sheet by me instead of linked
or cut and pasted from a form. That is what I was trying to avoid.
From your first response it sounds like once the Master Sheet is filled
exporting in almost any format to Word is relatively simple.
Am I misunderstanding?
Thanks for your time and wisdom.
Tom