Debra Dalgleish

Default Dates and "Text-to-Columns"

After you close the Text to Columns dialog box, the first column should
still be selected.
To format it as a number, choose Format Cells
On the Number tab, select General, then click OK.

Arsenio Oloroso wrote:
I have a database in which I am attempting to split a column of dates into
three columns.

The column looks like this:

Closed_date
2/3/1997
1/14/1997
1/10/1997
3/19/1997

I selected the column, clicked Data/Text to Columns, and using the Wizard,
specified that the text was delimited by forward slashes. I selected {none}
for text qualifier, clicked Date as the "Column Data Format."

The data preview window appeared to show exactly what I wanted--the month,
day and date parsed into three columns. But when I clicked the Finish
button, this is what I got.

Closed_date
1/2/1900 3 1997
1/1/1900 14 1997
1/1/1900 10 1997
1/3/1900 19 1997
1/3/1900 7 1997
1/3/1900 14 1997

Can anyone tell me what went wrong and how to correct this?
Any leads are much appreciated.

Arsenio

--
Debra Dalgleish