Max

Default Formula help for complex formatting.

The CF will work on the selections made from data validation droplists. But
your requirement unfortunately exceeds the normal CF limit of 3 conditions
(excluding the default) by one. If you're willing to accept an approx
visual using normal CF, say, accept a default fill color of grey, then you
could select the column with the DVs, preformat the entire col with grey
fillcolor, and set the 3 CF conditions:

Cond1: Cell value: equal to: ="F" (Blue)
Cond2: Cell value: equal to: ="R" (Green)
Cond3: Cell value: equal to: ="N" (Yellow)

Demo file at: http://cjoint.com/?kDdlLmNjpz

To get more CF colors than the top 3, you could check out:

a. Bob Phillips' CFPlus - Extended Conditional Formatter add-in at:
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html
(Bob's write-up there states that up to *30* cond formats are catered for)

b. JE McGimpsey's page at:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/conditional6.html
[Getting 6 conditional font colors without macros]
The page also contains links to Dave McRitchie's & Chip Pearson's CF pages

--
Rgds
Max
"TKT" wrote in message
Hi There,

I have the following question:

What if I have a drop down list....can I still set the cell/ column to
recognize the various color codes set? Example given below:

F = Fixed (want to reflect blue)
R = Rendering (want to reflect green)
N = Null (want to reflect yellow)
P = Pass (want to reflect grey)

My drop down menu has the options "F", "R", "N" and "P"....once someone
selects "F" or one of the other 3, can it be assigned the various colors
which I've listed above? I am desperately trying to have this

automatically
color the cell once the code is selected.

Please advise....thank you!
~TKT