Anne Troy

Default Create database in excel?

Don't bother with Sheets 2 through 200. To provide a page for each one, set
it up as a Word mail merge. I just did this last night, with 3 "companies"
per page. You can have just one or two or however many you like. If you use
Excel, you'll constantly be changing the data and creating new worksheets.
This way, you just run the merge again, perhaps for a specific record only
(like the "new" record number 201 that you just received the information on.
Here's mail merge:
http://www.officearticles.com/word/m...osoft_word.htm
Also, by doing this, you've already got your data ready to print labels or
anything else you can think of.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"wirthless" wrote
in message ...

Hi -
I could really use some help. I am trying to create a database of
non-profit organizations in Excel. My thought is to create a workbook
with Sheet1 being a Master List and Sheet2 through Sheet200 (for
example) being the information for each individual non-profit
(Organization Name, Address, Contact, Service Area, Phone #, Mission
Statement, etc.). The Master List would display information from all
non-profits listing down (with column headings listed at the top).
Each individual sheet would be a template of all the individual
non-profit information in a page view (with headers listing down the
left of the spreadsheet and information in the corresponding cell to
the right). I am assuming I would be able to reorganize the Master
List in a number of differrent ways should I desire -- alphabetically
by name, by service type (drop down menu?), by area, etc..

Assuming that this is a viable method, here are my stumbling blocks
..

1. I need a way to create 200 worksheets of my template (which I have
not yet created, but am sure I can figure out with the aid of Excel
Help) in the workbook without having to add them one by one via
InsertSheet.

2. I would need the information from Sheets 2-200 to be automatically
entered into the Master List. I am able to link the cells by entering
=Sheet2!B1 for example into the cell on the appropriate master list
cell. Is there a way to automate the filling of subsequent cells
below it with =Sheet3!B1, =Sheet4!B1, =Sheet5!B1, ... =Sheet200!B1? I
have tried with Fill/Series, but to no avail.

I am sure there are more stumbling blocks ahead, but these are the two
I have immediately identified. I began this process in an Appleworks
Database, but will need many people to have access to it in the future
and know a majority will not be Mac users. This last month has been my
first experience with Excel and I am finding it a very adaptable
program. I plan to continue using it in the future. Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Tom

--
wirthless