Gary''s Student

Default limiting or deleting extra characters in a cell

If you have a large block of text in a cell, say A1. and you want to limit it
to 100 characters. In an un-used cell enter:
=LEFT(A1,100)

This will discard everything after the first 100 characters. this will fix
old entries

Use Data Validation to limit the length of text strings for new user
entries.
--
Gary's Student

"dprichard" wrote:

I have an excel file I need to import into a program. The program I am
importing the item into has limitations on the number of characters
that can be in the cells. Some of the items in the excel spreadsheet
have more then that number of characters. Is there any way I can limit
the number of characters that can be entered into a cell and have it
delete the extra characters that are in there?

Thanks in advance for any help.

--
dprichard
dprichard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28427