batfish

Default convert time imported as text to time format for calculations

Both of these worked, except when the ime interval went past midnight. I
have the date information in another colum and know there is a way to join
the two cells, but can't remember what it is... Concatenate provide a
jibberish number

"George Nicholson" wrote:

=TIME(LEFT(TEXT(A1,"0000"),2), RIGHT(A1,2), 0)
should convert a 3 or 4 character military time value into a "proper" Excel
time value.

If you only need to convert 4 character values (i.e., leading zeros always
supplied) then you can simplify it to:

=TIME(LEFT(A1,,2), RIGHT(A1,2), 0)

Anything less than 1 hour reads okay, anything over is not.

Are you 100% sure about that? Does 1400 minus 1315 gives you 85 or 45?

HTH,
--
George Nicholson

Remove 'Junk' from return address.

"batfish" wrote in message
I imported some data into excel that is in a dbf file. two of the columns
contain time information expressed in the military format (No : separating
the hours and minutes). When I calculate the difference, the answer is in
base 100 format ie from 1300 hours to 1400 hours is 100 units, not 60.
How
do I either convert these cells into a time format that will properly
format
the answer or take the answer given and have it make sense. ANything less
than 1 hour reads okay, anything over is not.