Debra Dalgleish

Default Data Validation Error Does Not Work?

No matter what data validation settings you've applied, users will be
able to leave the cell blank, or select the cell, and press the Delete
key, to clear the cell.

However, if the cursor is in the cell, or in the formula bar, they won't
be able to press the Delete key, to clear the cell, or press the Enter
key while the cell is blank.

You could use programming to check for blank cells, or make other cells
show an error if the cell is blank.

Alex Mackenzie wrote:
Operator error I am sure,but I am unable to get data validation to function
correctly. It is a simple list (yes,no from a 2 cell named range), ignore
blank is not checked. I want an error if the user does not make a selection.
The show error box is checked. BUT, if the field is left blank, the message
does not show up. (Just as a check I type something else in the field and
the message does show up). What have I done wrong? Thank you.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List