Roger Govier

Default Omit the first word from a cell contain text

Ah!, if only you had said Extract instead of Omit<bg
Glad you worked it out, and thanks for the feedback.

Incidentally, your formula should be
=LEFT(C2,FIND(" ",C2)-1)
As it stands, it will pick up the trailing space after each word which could
give you a problem later if you were trying to do a Lookup or some other task.

If you have already carried out the task, then
=TRIM(A1) or whatever cell you had the formula in, and copied down would
remove any extraneous spaces.

Regards

Roger Govier

Bhupinder Rayat wrote:
Thanks Roger,

Your formula didn't give the first word but worked from right to left, but
it put me on the right track, i used

=LEFT(C2,FIND(" ",C2))

Thanks again,

Bhupinder.
"Roger Govier" wrote:

Hi
Presumably there is a space between the words. If so, then in another column
=MID(A1,FIND(" ",A1)+1,255)
Change the 255 if necessary, i.e. if there are likely to be more than 255
characters after the first space.

Regards

Roger Govier

Bhupinder Rayat wrote:

Hi all,

I have a column of cells containing text strings, and I want to omit the
first word from each cell, which are of varying character lengths. I can do
it the long winded way using a combination of the text functions (i.e. left,
mid etc..), but is there a quicker way to omit the first word? The character
lengths of the first word vary from 4 to about 9 characters. I have over
10000 cells to check.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Bhupinder Rayat