Biff

Hi!

Assume you want to count a variable range in column A.
Assume the range starts in A1 and your users can specify
the end of the range by entering a value in a cell, say
E1. In E1 you enter 10. The countif range will be A1:A10.

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("A1:A"&E1),"whatever")

You can specify both the starting cell of the range and
the end of the range. D1 = 5, E1 = 10. The countif range
would be A5:A10:

=COUNTIF(INDIRECT("A"&D1&":A"&E1),"whatever")

Biff