Jon Peltier

Default Add data labels without displaying data points?

No, don't reposition the labels by dragging them around, reposition them
by adjusting the X and Y values in the sheet. The purpose of using an XY
series is to position them by putting the data point exactly where you
want the label, and using the "Center" position for the label. As soon
as you drag the label, it is no longer spatially linked to the data
point, and the alignment is now up to chance. If you keep them spatially
linked, then the labels will view and print where the point locates them.

Both the add-ins I suggested apply labels from a worksheet range to a
chart series. This way, you can edit the cells with the labels, which I
find easier than editing the labels in the chart. Also, suppose you had
three columns:

Date Amount Salesman

You can use these tools to place the salesman's name on a chart of sales
vs. date.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Peltier Technical Services
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
http://PeltierTech.com/
_______

Brenda wrote:

I did as you suggested and added a hidden line series, then respositioned the
labels to where I wanted them. But, I still had issues with getting the
labels to line up correctly, and even when they appears to be straight and
below the bars on the graph, they didn't print that same way.

I installed the J-walk chart tools, but I don't really understand the use of
"assigning labels to the points from another worksheet range". How would
this help?

We ended up adding a test box below the graph, but this is still not the
ideal solution. I'm not able to position them exactly where I want them
because they print differently, and they will have to be updated manually.