lburg801

Default Newbie - Need help with zipcode format- no options for cell

Phillycheese5 Wrote:
Not sure exactly what you're trying to do with the zip codes....but
generally the issue is that the first zero doesn't stay after you type
it in (or import). If you highlight an area, use the "format" menu,
select "cells" and then on the "number" tab, select "text" to preserve
all characters you type, including zero. If you're importing, then you
need to specify the column to be imported as text.
Hope this helps,
Phillycheese

This is what Help tells me to do "Show numbers as a postal code, Social
Security number, or phone number
Select the cells you want to format.

On the Format menu, click Cells, and then click the Number tab.
Show Me

In the Category list, click Special, and then select the format you
want to use. "

I have inherited this job on an emergency basis and trying to learn as
I go. I think I may have done a general format for all columns,
regarding them as text, and in doing so seem to have changed someting
that created data for barcodes.

Thus I though that since zip-codes are handled in a special way by
Excel, I would return that format for that column. However, when I go
to FormatCells, there is no arrow indicating there is a menu for this
item, and indeed, when I click on it, it nothing happens.

On the other hand, if I bring up a totally new worksheet, all the steps
described by Help exist.

And as a newbie to this forum as well as Excel, can you tell me if I am
supposed to enter infor for Title once again, as there is a blank for
this. Hoping I'm doing the right thing by ignoring it, I plan to simply
respond.

--
lburg801
lburg801's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=28338