Ron Rosenfeld

Default cell address of occurence of a vlookup formula

On 25 Oct 2005 05:45:19 -0700, wrote:

Thxs a lot Ron!
But can you pls explain to me step by step the reasoning behind the
formula as I'm not used to complex formula with index & match.
Hope to hear from u again

MATCH returns the relative position of an item in an array that matches a
specified value.

The array to which the MATCH function is applied is generated by the inner
INDEX function which generates an array consisting of the first column of your
Range.

The outer INDEX function refers to the cell in column 2 that is in the same
relative position as the MATCH in column 1.

The CELL function then returns the reference of that outer INDEX function.

--ron