Scott C.

Default Assign a Value to a Duplicate Entry Within the Same Column

Worked liked a charm! Thanks B. R.Ramachandran!

"B. R.Ramachandran" wrote:

Hi,

Here is a simpler formula than the one I suggested in my previous reply (I
am embarrassed about the earlier round-about formula!)

=COUNTIF($D$2:D2,D2)

Regards,
B. R. Ramachandran

"Scott C." wrote:

Within a single worksheet I have thousand-plus rows of data and one of the
columns within that worksheet I have a series of numbers. After I've
identified the duplicates within that column I want to assign a value based
on the first time that number shows up (in this case by I'v sorted by date),
so the first duplicate would have a value like "1." I then want to assign
the next duplicate(s) sequentially (2, 3, 4, etc.) When finished I would
want a new column of data that would have far more "1s" than "2s," more "2s"
than "3s," etc.

How do I accomplish this?