Anne Troy

Default Still can select locked cells in protected sheet

Andy: When I test this in 2003, I cannot select cells.
When I test in 2000, I can still select cells.
Are you sure you're using the same version always? I have 4 versions on my
PC. Perhaps Excel 2000 is your default, and you're double-clicking? Gotta
ask... This behavior is just bizarre. Perhaps you should try troubleshooting
Excel?
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Andy" wrote in message
are you sure you're locking the cells properly?

I think so Anne. On the Protection tab of the Format Cells dialog box
I have "Locked" checked on all of the cells I don't want the user to
be able to access.

Then I go to ToolsProtectionProtectSheet and the only box checked on
the Protect Sheet dialog box is "Select unlocked cells".

When I do this (Excel 2002), everything works as expected.

But when I save and reopen the file, I can select the locked cells
with the mouse. I can't do anything with the selected cells, so the
sheet is still protected and only the unlocked cells are truly
available. But I wonder why the behavior changes when I reopen the
file.

Andy