Andy

Default Still can select locked cells in protected sheet

are you sure you're locking the cells properly?

I think so Anne. On the Protection tab of the Format Cells dialog box
I have "Locked" checked on all of the cells I don't want the user to
be able to access.

Then I go to ToolsProtectionProtectSheet and the only box checked on
the Protect Sheet dialog box is "Select unlocked cells".

When I do this (Excel 2002), everything works as expected.

But when I save and reopen the file, I can select the locked cells
with the mouse. I can't do anything with the selected cells, so the
sheet is still protected and only the unlocked cells are truly
available. But I wonder why the behavior changes when I reopen the
file.

Andy