Harlan Grove

Default How do I get Excel to tell me the angle of a line

drbob2000 wrote...
I could not get the macro to run (I don't have much experience with
this)...there was a syntax error....How do I get the properties of the
line....and yes I am measuring the angle from the horrizontal.

The problem may be line wrapping. First, use a general code module in
VBA. Press [Alt]+[F11] to switch to the VB Editor, then run the menu
command Insert Module. That'll bring up a new, blank general code
module. Then paste the following code into it.

Sub rfh()
Dim s As Shape

If TypeOf Selection Is Line Then
Set s = ActiveSheet.Shapes(Selection.Index)
Else
MsgBox Prompt:="No drawn line selected", Title:="ERROR"
Exit Sub
End If

With Application.WorksheetFunction
MsgBox _
Prompt:=.Atan2( _
s.Width, _
IIf(s.VerticalFlip, 1, -1) * s.Height), _
Title:="Angle of selected line to horizontal (radians)"
End With
End Sub

Also, you must select a drawn line before running this macro.
Otherwise, it'll display an error dialog then exit.