Bob Phillips

Default How to auto-enter date when cell is clicked?

Dim ans As Long
On Error GoTo ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Target
If .Column = 12 And .Row = 4 Then
.Value = Format(Date, "dd mmm yyyy")
End If
End With

ws_exit:
Application.EnableEvents = True

HTH

RP

"Ron M." wrote in message
ps.com...
My spreadsheet is on a shared server, and has several columns of data
entered by various people. These are columns D through L.

In the far right column, I want them to just be able to click on the
cell and that day's date appears. It needs to be static - not
auto-update every time the file is opened. It's in Column L. The top
cell is in Row 4.

When they enter or change data on a row, the date they did it needs to
appear in column L in that row.

The point is to keep their data entry time to an ABSOLUTE minimum. I
know they can select the cell and type control-;, but I'd like to
eliminate that step if at all possible. Each person will enter/change
data several thousand times over the year, so EVERY second I can shave
off the process helps.

Clicking in the cell to make the date appear would work fine, unless
there's a better approach out there.

Thanks very much,
Ron M.