R.VENKATARAMAN

try this vba

try(just copy) this vba code and see whether you get what you want
I am not an expert. statements following single quotation are comments.

Public Sub test()
'your data range is A2 to A11
'FIRST SORT THE DATA
Dim cell As Range
Dim i As Integer
i = 1
'NOTE in the next statement it starts from A3 and ends in A12
For Each cell In Range("a3:a12")
cell.Activate
If cell = cell.Offset(-1, 0) Then
i = i + 1
Else
ActiveCell.Offset(-1, 1) = i
i = 1
End If
Next cell
End Sub

Duplicateman wrote in message
Let's say you have a list of hundreds of confirmation numbers, they can be
text, numeric or alpa-numeric, how can I know how many of the entries are
exact duplicates vs how many are different. Example:
HVT88947
HVT88947
HVT88948
HVT88948
9784268
712589
DDKLM
DDKLM
HVT88946
712589
Ok, we have 10 entries above. Four of them are duplicate entries, six of
them are different entries, right? Ok, so lets say you now have thousands

of
these entries and you know there are lots of duplicates somewhere in the
list. How can you calculate how many are duplicate entries and how many

are
different (or original entries)? And you need to have the calc work so

that
as people add more entries the calc always updates the number of

duplicates
there are in the growing list?