RedHeadedMenace

Default sum function not actually summing??????

Kevin -- went thru and did this, but each cell was formatted as currency or
number (I tried both) previously. But i mauanlly deleted $'s and still get
same result, and cell formatting shows type of last format (curr or num).

I have never seen anything like this! Not a single suggestion has worked
and it's just mystifying on my end.

"Kevin Lehrbass" wrote:

Hi,

Click on each cell and ensure that the $ is not included in the cell.
When copying and pasting, it looks like the $ was also pasted into the cells
and excel didn't recognize this as numbers.

When a cell is formatted as currency, the currency symbol isn't actually
added to the cell. I removed the $ symbols and the sum function worked.

Cheers,
--
Kevin Lehrbass
www.spreadsheetsolutions4u.com

"RedHeadedMenace" wrote:

Excel 03
OK, I'm trying to sum numbers a column. This is exact representation, cells
F19 to F22:

$11,087
$3,400
$2,400
$1,211

I sum into F23 and get the result of only F19 *$11,087.* F23 cell formula
shows as
=SUM(F19:F22)

This is a sheet I downloaded. I added a row (F21) to insert the $2400.
When first sum action didn't work, I thought maybe it was based on cell
format, so I reformatted to label them currency (this shows in cell
properties), so it's not an issue of cell format standardization.

Also, I copied the numbers from F column to a new one and pasted as *Special
-- values only* and STILL get only the result of the top #, $11,087.

WTF??? and What can I do????