Cate

Default Links picking up values from an older version of linked file

Bill,

Thank you for your response.

I think you have misunderstood me a little bit. File Aug and File Sept do
not link to the same cell in File YTD. File Aug would link to the cell that
contains 456 and File Sept should link to the cell that contains 320 as saved
for September. The File YTD was updated with the actual amount of 320 and
closed. When I linked File Sept to that cell it was correct until I opened
File Aug, remember the link for File Aug is a different cell. As I said
before when I opened File Aug the link for File Sept reverted back to the
August version of the File YTD - 300. Also as I said I figured out how to
"fix" it, but I still don't understand why the File Sept link would revert
back to the amount from when the File YTD was saved in the prior month. It
just seems really odd that File Sept's link went back to a number on a
version of File YTD does not even exist anymore.

If File Aug and File Sept did link to the same cell, I would think they
would both update to the current version of File YTD.

Regardless, I suppose I will just need to remember when I open two months of
File Mth to compare something I will need to update the links on the older
one.

Sorry to go on and on, but it is frustrating to know a "fix" to something
that I wish I knew the proper way to do it and understand why. I am
continually checking and double guessing my numbers rather than saving the
time by linking files, it just creates more work with all the checking. Or
is to update the links in the older file the "proper" way to do it?

Thanks again for your response,
Cate