Cate

Default Links picking up values from an older version of linked file

This is my first post, so bear with me.

Can some one confirm if this is the same issue as Discussion €œOne workbook
copies links from another?€ started on 9/13/2005?

I am hoping this will explain my problem clearly enough that some one will
be able to tell me why this happens. I am using Excel 2002.

I have a file (call it File YTD) that contains year to date data, which is
updated every month; plan values are update to actual values. See simple
illustration of Q3 subtotal area:

When actual data was entered for August:
JUL (ACTUAL) 123
AUG (ACTUAL) 456
SEP (PLAN) 300
Q3 (PLAN) 879

When actual data was entered for September:
JUL (ACTUAL) 123
AUG (ACTUAL) 456
SEP (ACTUAL) 320
Q3 (ACTUAL) 899

Then I have monthly files that link to File YTD. Lets call the monthly
files File Aug and File Sept. Both link to File YTD. I have File Sept open
and linked to the current data in File YTD €“ for SEP the ACTUAL amount would
be 320. (Note: File YTD is not open.) While File Sept is still open, I open
File Aug and when asked if I want to update links I answer no. When I go
back to File Sept the amount for SEP changes to 300, the PLAN amount for SEP
from File YTD as it appeared when it was updated in August. Why does this
happen? I €œfixed€ it by updating the link to File YTD in File Aug. Even
though I figured out what happened and how to fix it, can anyone tell me why
File Sept would update its link to the August version of File YTD?

Thanks,
Cate