Richard Buttrey

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 06:33:16 -0700, "Cris B." <Cris
wrote:

I have numerical data in column A rows 1:14.

I'm adding it up in row 15. Sum=(A1:A14)

Now I've been asked to insert more rows with data above row A14.

What can I put in my Sum formula in place of A14 so when I insert
a new row, any numerical data above it in column A automatically adds up?
Sum=(A1:????)

I don't want to have to go and change it to sum=(A1:A17) if I
insert 3 rows.... I have a huge file to create with sections like this. User
may have to insert new rows. They need to all add up.

=SUM(A1:INDIRECT("A"&ROW()-1))

will work, but perhaps a more normal arrangement would be to have a
blank row between your total and the last numeric data item and
include the blank row in your Sum range. That way you can always
insert a new row in the blank row and have the range expand
automatically.
__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK