Dave Peterson

If you know that you want 6 digits, you can use a custom format of:
000000
select the column
format|cells|number tab|custom category

You could try this custom format, too:
0*0

If you widen the cell, you may see what looks like a gap between the leading 0
and the number you typed into the cell. But if you widen/shrink that column,
you'll see that this gap disappears.

Max_Rebo1 wrote:

I am trying to format existing data so that instead of being a set amount of
digits, say 2 for example, it fills out the column based on its width, say 6,
with leading zeros. Example - I have 55122 in a cell that has a width of 6,
and I want it to say 055122. I know that changing the cell format to text and
re-entering the data would fix this problem, but I want a way to change the
data without re-entering it.

--

Dave Peterson