Roger Govier

Hi Martelie

Yes, combine as many as you wish, subject to the limit of a formula not
exceeding 1024 characters.

Regards

Roger Govier

martelie wrote:

Roger,
Thank you for all the help.

You know the first bit... "=B1&" | "&C1 " .. is it possible to combine
3 columns?

Martelie

Roger Govier Wrote:

Hi Martelie

Supposing your original table was A1:C100.
If you have now inserted a new column C, so the table range would be
A1:D100 but the area that you would be concerned with would be C1:D100
as you would not need the A and B columns as they had been combined
into
the new column C.

So, =VLOOKUP("John | 56789"Sheet1!C1:D100,2,0)

Change the sheet reference and range to suit.
The offset in the above is 2, which is telling Vlookup to take it from
the 2nd column of the table.
The 0 at the end is exactly the same as typing FALSE for the 4th
parameter.

I hope this helps, but don't hesitate to post back if you need more
explanation. You are not "dumb" at all. Everyone has to go through the
learning curve, and we never do stop learning. If you want you can
post
a copy of your sheet directly to me, (not to the Newsgroup please) by
removing the "nospam" from my email address.

Regards

Roger Govier