Bill Manville

We may be misunderstanding each other a bit.
Let's start again.

Jwr wrote:
I am analyzing a query with excel. In excel, I have created a template that
is linked to the query

How is it "linked"?
From your latest message it seems it might not be by the usual Data / Import
External Data / New Database Query mechanism that I had been assuming.

If you have somehow created a DDE link to the results of the Access query (and
I admit I didn't know that was possible) then you may be able to kill the link
by Edit / Links / Break Link.
If not, try Edit / Copy; Edit / Paste Special / Values.

The query has parameters in access and
it works without problems in access. I do not know what to do about
parameters once I get to the importing procedure from access to excel.

I haven't tried importing from an Access query with parameters.
I know how to create an MSQuery query with parameters.
At the end of the query wizard, elect to view the query with MS Query.
Display the conditions grid.
Enter the field name in the top row of the conditions grid.
Enter a prompt like [Which City?] in the second row.
Execute the query - you should be prompted for the parameter.
In that way you could change the Access query not to have parameters and
supply the parameters at the MSQuery stage.
Back in Excel there are options to get the parameter value from a cell and
even to refresh the query when the cell value changes.

I did not check Save
Query (did not see exact phrase - save query definition)

If you mean the Save Query... button on the last part of the query wizard,
that is a different type of save, I think. It saves the query in a text file.

When you get back to Excel you get a dialog headed Import Data asking where
you want to put the results. On this dialog if you click Parameters you can
tell it where to get the parameter value from, and if you click Properties you
will see the dialog in which you might later uncheck the Save Query Definition
box to make the query non-refreshable.

Are we getting closer?

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England