Richard Buttrey

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 19:18:23 GMT, David Howdon
wrote:

I tried to set up the following SUMIF formula
=SUMIF(B34:M34,"=1",B3:B14)

i.e. the criteria were in a row and the summands were in a column.

However what excel actually did was to sum cells in the *row* starting
from B3 the corresponded to the criteria.
Is this

A) a bug
B) a (rather silly) feature
C) (most likely) me making a stupid mistake in typing the formulae and
not being able to spot it.

Excel 2003 (11.6355.6568) SP1 in case that helps.

Hmm, you seem to be mixing a row and column range. I'm fairly certain
that Excel doesn't allow this in SumIF or other array formulae.

Copy the range B34:M34 and then Edit PasteSpecial Values Transpose
into A3.

Now the formula =SUMIF (A3:A14,"=1",B3:B14) should work.

HTH

__
Richard Buttrey
Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK