Earl Kiosterud

Emily,

Using any formula to add time values works fine in Excel. I think the
problem in your situation might be that when you enter in the format xx:yy,
Excel assumes hours and minutes, not minutes and seconds. Since both are
multiples of 60, this should work fine, except when the total hours exceeds
24, in which case Excel would want to roll over to another day after 24
hours, not 60. You can force Excel to interpret xx:yy as mm:ss by entering
it in the form 0:xx:yy, if you're willing to do all that keying. If not,
and if my presumption that Excel has assumed hh:mm for your mm:ss is
correct, post back with some specific examples of what you're trying to do,
and I might be able to suggest other workarounds.
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"Emily16" wrote in message
I need to add a long list of minutes and seconds. (ex. 25:16, 16:39, 27:41)
I have looked at all the functions and cannot find one that works. They
all
want to add the times assuming they are hours and minutes or time on a
clock.
I want to find a function that would add up the previous example and
display
it as 69:36 total minutes and seconds. It seems like one of the problems
am running into is finding or creating my own function that knows to add
up
the seconds to 60, not 100 like most decimal functions are used to. Does
anyone have an answer? I would be forever grateful!