Dana DeLouis

Ok. Another cheat... :)
=(FACT(4)+SIGN(4))*4-SIGN(4)

FACT(0.4) can be interpreted by some other programs as the Gamma function,
with a numerical value of 0.8873 (ie Gamma(1.4) )

This is an interesting programming challenge due to the many combinations.
It needs checks also because something simple as 4^4^4 has 155 digits.
Excel can only read this Left To Right, so arrives at a non-standard
interpretation of 4294967296. Anyway, very interesting... :)
--
Dana DeLouis
Win XP & Office 2003

"JayBea" wrote in message
Thanks for the replies Dana

I did manage to get 99 with a bit of a cheat, by using Fact(.4) in the
formula as Excel produces the answer of 1 which applies for any number
below 2

eg. =FACT(4)*4+SQRT(4)+FACT(0.4)
or=FACT(4)*4+4-FACT(0.4)

OK it is a huge cheat, I Know, but it does get Excel to provide the right
answer :-)

I would love to see an Excel math function for recurring numbers in the
next
edition just to be able to overcome this problem without cheating, but
then
again there isn't even a SQRT button on the MS scientific calculator yet
:-)

However, I am not showing any solutions for 99.
For 98, I count 52. ie

=4*FACT(4) + 4/SQRT(4)
=(4+FACT(4)*4)-SQRT(4)

and for 100, I count 99 solutions.
ie =4*(FACT(4)+FACT(4)/FACT(4))

However, I'm showing nothing that totals 99.